I Know People Will Scream at This

 So, Ukraine became a part of the Soviet Union around 1921, and broke free in 1991, a period of seventy years.  Now the Russians seem posed to use military force to make Ukraine a part of their country once again.


This is not the first time in history that something like this has happened.  I am thinking of a country that was established by a revolution, like the Soviet Union, and then about 85 years later, a breakaway republic was formed.  The country I am referring to used overwhelming military force to regain that territory.


Can't remember who I am talking about?  Here's a hint:


No, I am not suggesting that the Union did not have a right to crush a state devoted to one of the worst barbarisms in the history of civilization, nor am I equating Abraham Lincoln with Vladimir Putin.  But the relative differences in the moral quality of these countries' two leaders should not obscure the fact that there is a bit of a similarity there.

Comments

Grung_e_Gene said…
Ukraine is a democracy though and Putin's Russia is a fascist warmonger...
Green Eagle said…
Gene, as I said, I do not mean to equate the two examples; I'm only pointing out that in history everything has happened, including our own country going to war to subdue a breakaway republic. Anyway, I agree entirely with what you say.
Green Eagle said…
Interjeetbacigalupo: Can we use it to cut Vladimir Putin's throat? Otherwise, not interested.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Okay, Never Mind

Wingnut Wrapup

Hamas