Another Right Wing Lie to Deal With

As many of you are aware, a couple of weeks ago, an American convert to Islam, who spent time in the Middle East, murdered a recruiting officer.

It is depressing to me that conservatives, who twist every sort of fact and logic to deny any responsibility for the anti-abortion terrorist and the Holocaust museum terrorist, despite their obvious connection, still insist that, for some reason the left must take responsibility for this killing and all other crimes committed by Islamists.

Let me state the obvious: The left in this country has nothing to do with deranged religious fundamentalists of any kind. If anything, the incitement of religious intolerance that is a standard feature of conservative strategy is far closer to the spirit that motivates these Islamists. Further, it is largely the result of the belligerent, self serving hostility which makes up the sum and total of Republican foreign policy, that has turned the attention of these people to our country.

The murder of this recruiting officer is not in any way a left-wing parallel to the phenomenon of years of right wing hatred coming home to roost, and we are fools to let this malicious claim go unchallenged.

Update: Here's our old friend Erick Erickson at Red State, who has been doing a lot of trash talking lately:

"If the right were to blame for the tragedy at the Holocaust Museum, Markos Moulitsas, Keith Olbermann, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama must be positively scrubbing the blood off their hands after the tragic murder of Pvt. Long in Arkansas last week and wounding of Pvt. Quentin Ezeagwula. I’m surprised leftwing bloggers can type with all the blood on their hands."

Just to prove my point.

The Democrats have somehow become, in the deluded thinking of the Right, responsible for the actions of Muslim religious extremists. I'd like to see them explain how that works, other than something along the lines of "Muslims hate America and Liberals hate America. Nyah, nyah, nyah."

There are literally no words sufficient to describe how loathsome and anti-American the right has become in this country. I think it is time to take a good look at the condition of the right wing in Germany in the couple of years before and after World War I, Godwin's law be damned.

I believe I know something about this period, and I am disturbed by the similarity between the right wing organizations that existed in the pre-Nazi period, and what I am seeing today. Don't tell me this is a delusion unless you have read a lot about the period too- I know what I am talking about. All that is missing is someone capable of organizing right wing thugs into a relatively unified force. We know who managed to do this in 1920's Germany. Will someone come along to do it this time around?

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe this country is on the edge of falling into a really dark place.

Just a note: I can't see any blood on my hands, but I did have a little trouble typing because of grease on my hands from the piece de boeuf en la mode de bourgogne that I'm making for dinner. Does that count?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wingnut Wrapup

It's Okay, Never Mind

Hamas