Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Into the Distance

Atrios grants Lindsay Graham his coveted Wanker of the Day award for this story by Greg Sargent at Who Runs Gov:

"
Whoops! Lindsey Graham Cites Retracted Report As Proof Torture Worked"

My favorite part of the article is this:

"When the witness pointed out that the story had been debunked, (Graham) stared into the distance without saying anything and moved right on to a new round of questioning."

This may well represent a new breakthrough in debating technique: Lying and then staring into the distance.

I really must say, however, that I would like to recommend this to our former Vice President. He has already taken care of the lying part; now if we could just persuade him to stare into the distance without saying anything, I think everyone would feel better.

UPDATE: From The Hill:

"The Bush administration did not commit any crimes, Graham said, but "they saw the law as a nicety we could not afford."

I couldn't have put it better myself.

May I just point out that this is the same justification commonly used by burglars, muggers, etc.- they just can't afford to obey the law. I am anxiously waiting to hear this reasoning used in criminal trials all across the country. Lindsay, I'm not sure that line of argument is likely to convince me.


No comments: