A Comment on My Support of Wikileaks

In the course of my life, I have seen repeated eruptions of government outrage at people who publicized things that officials didn't want us to know.  Offhand, I can think of exactly one time that these leaks caused us any real harm:  the Dick Cheney masterminded outing of Valerie Plame, which destroyed a large part of our covert monitoring of middle eastern nuclear proliferation.  And surprise, surprise, that was just fine with the American press.

Other than that, every case did not involve information damaging to our national security, but things that were embarrassing to the government perpetrators. It has virtually always been the case that the more information we have, the better off we are; and based on my experience of that, I say that the more information screwed out of the government, the better.

And, as for the usual hysterical Conservative screams that the revealing of this information is going to result in a few deaths, please remember this:  First of all, as usual with Conservative fear mongering, there is not a shred of evidence that any such thing has happened. And far more importantly, a million innocent Iraqi civilians lie in their graves today, because of American lies.  Until someone besides a few left wing hippies like myself shows some sign of caring about that, I'm just not going to get too worked up if a couple of people die so that we can hear the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wingnut Wrapup

It's Okay, Never Mind

Hamas