And it's just fine with our wonderful mainstream press, too. Here's a step by step guide, courtesy of Darryl Issa:
1. Congressman Issa orders the office of the Inspector General to conduct a survey of the IRS' investigation of political groups for possible violations of their tax free status. He further orders the Inspector General to restrict the investigation to right wing groups.
2. Congressman Issa then dramatically reveals that the Inspector General has found lots of right wing groups that the IRS checked out, and no left wing groups, neglecting to mention in public that he had explicitly ordered the Inspector General to ignore left wing groups.
3. Congressman Issa proceeds to hold day after day of hearings, mesmerizing the members of our mainstream media, into allegations of partisan behavior at the IRS which he knows to be false.
4. Congressman Issa releases excerpts of committee interviews which seem to suggest that the Obama White House was using the IRS for partisan purposes. Despite repeated requests, he refuses to release the transcripts of the entire interviews.
5. Finally fed up, Democratic members of Congressman Issa's committee release the complete transcripts, which definitively prove that the Obama White House had nothing to do with the IRS "scandal," and that there was nothing political about it at all- something which Congressman Issa knew perfectly well from the very beginning.
6. As a last blow to Congressman Issa's public claims, it was revealed that the IRS had investigated many left leaning groups for similar potential violations, something which Congressman Issa knew since the beginning, but which he deliberately kept the American public from knowing.
7. At this point, the mainstream press curiously lost interest in the entire subject, and Congressman Issa does not even face public criticism for the misuse of his power in this way, insuring that things like this will happen over and over again, whenever a Democrat wins an election.
The result of all of this? The public's trust of Obama took an eight percent dive, based on a lying smear perpetrated by Republicans in Congress. And, more importantly, the whole subject of the blatant illegality of the behavior of Tea Party groups, Karl Rove's American Crossroads and other similar organizations run on rich people's money has become toxic. So the IRS is leaving it to these groups to certify themselves as being "social welfare" organizations. We're now relying on the likes of Karl Rove and the birther movement to tell us the truth, solely because they will scream and lie and smear us endlessly if they don't get their way.
This is no way to run a society. Not if you want it to last very long.